- Root vegetables: Any combination of the following: raw beetroot, baby turnip, swede, parsnips, carrots (I like purple carrots for their colour but orange work fine), red onions and celeriac. Once peeled and chopped you will need enough to cover two baking trays.
- Half a head of garlic, cloves unpeeled
- Olive oil to drizzle over veg plus 4 tbsp for dressing
- Packet or tin of cooked green or puy lentils (I like Merchant Gourmet's puy lentil pouches)
- Packet of rocket
- 100g of feta cheese, cubed
- I chilli (red or green), deseeded and chopped
- Juice and zest of at least one lemon
- Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 200oC/Fan 180oC/Gas 6
- Place peeled, chopped vegetable selection and unpeeled garlic on baking trays, season and drizzle with a little olive oil
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until nicely browned and tender (the exact time will depend upon size of chopped pieces and combinations used so keep an eye out for burning)
- Remove from oven, leave to cool
- To make the dressing: combine the 4 tbsp olive oil with the chopped chilli, lemon juice and parsley and seasoning and whisk together. If you like your dressing more tart add extra lemon juice.
- Prepare the lentils according to the packet or warm through rinsed tinned lentils in a pan.
- Dress each plate or bowl with the rocket, top with still warm roasted root vegetables, lentils and feta and drizzle over the dressing
This is excellent for using up leftover veg from a Sunday roast or just using up fridge leftovers. Makes loads so there will be plenty left for a lovely bright and nourishing salad for lunch at work the next day. If taking to work cold you can assemble it all together in a sealed container. If you prefer to warm through, store the rocket, feta and dressing in one container and the veg and lentils in another for heating through. Then combine.